Fad diets are popular. This is not surprising as many people fall for the claim of easy weight loss with incredibly fast results. You will probably find many of these fad diets sites which claim to lose many pounds in just a few days. More often then not, this type of weight loss is temporary. The weight loss contains mainly of water and will quickly gain back as soon as the body is hydrated, which you must-do if you don’t want to suffer severe hydration problems. Besides these crash diet plans, there are others not as outrageous but they tend to be fashionable for a while and usually make a lot of money for the inventor while the product is in demand. While in some cases, these diets are made of good nutritional plans which are recommended by doctors, others are made of ingredients which are not medically proven.
Why fad diets are bad
- Some of these fad diets promise quick and easy weight loss based on eating one or more food groups and none of the others. Moderation is the key to healthy eating and following these diets may mean an unbalanced diet. Your body may be deprived of some essential nutrients.
- Fad diets are often boring and overly restrictive. After the novelty of the first few days, you will feel bored and start to crave for food and thus discontinuing the diet plan. You might even feel guilty for not losing weight.
- Another thing to note is that these fad diets do not follow the recommendation of the American Heart Association for fat levels in the diet. Many of these fad diets recommend high protein and low carb food, which if taken long term, may lead to heart disease.
- Many of these fad diets do not include enough servings of fruits or vegetables your body needs. These may lead to nutritional deficiency.
- Fad diets are often a temporary solution and will not help you to achieve a permanent weight loss. A permanent change in diet habits is the only way to maintain your weight once you have reached it. Fad diets only encourage yo-yo weight loss and binge diet which will only lead to fast weight loss and equally fast weight gain. For many, this will also affect their self-esteem when they gain back all the weight they lose.
Whatever what the advertising media says, these fad diets will not help you lose weight permanently but even put your health in danger. Before you commit yourself to a weight loss plan, do your research and avoid all fad diets.